The Internet is an amazing tool. It has the power to change the way we live, and we’re starting to see that potential today. With only a few mouse-clicks, you can follow the news, look up facts, buy goods and services, and communicate with others from around the world. We understand that protecting your personal information is important and it’s important for CIMET Sales Pty Ltd ABN 72 620 395 726 (“CIMET”) to help our browsing clientèle retain their privacy when they take advantage of all the Internet has to offer.
How do we receive personal information about you?
We receive personal information about you:
- Directly from you when you provide us with your personal details through our website available at cimet.com.au, over the phone, by email or offline, and when you use or access our website or Services;
- When you visit a third-party website that integrates our comparison tool into their website (White Label Partner) and you provide personal information for the purpose of using the comparison tool; and
- From other third parties that you provide your personal information to, including our lead generation partners, for the purposes of using our Services.
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- Your name;
- Your contact details, including email address, mailing address and street address, your previous mailing and street address, and/or telephone number;
- Your credit card or payment details (through our third-party payment processor);
- Your age and/or date of birth and identification information;
- Your occupation and professional qualifications;
- Your concession card details (if applicable);
- Your sensitive information as set out below;
- Your preferences and/or opinions;
- Information you provide to us through customer surveys;
- Details of products and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, and our response to you;
- Your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- Information about your access and use of our Services (on our website and when you use our platforms on a White Label Partner’s website), including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our online Services, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- Additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Services, our platforms on our White Label Partner’s websites, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- Any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a sub-set of personal information that is given a higher level of protection under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information means information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, sexual practices or sex life, criminal records, health information or biometric information.
The types of sensitive information we may collect about you include:
- Your driver’s licence;
- Your passport or another form of photo identification;
- Your medicare number.
When we collect your photo identification, we may see sensitive information you, such as your organ donation preference and information that may suggest your ethnicity or religious beliefs. If we collect this sensitive information, your sensitive information will only be used and disclosed for purposes directly relating to the primary purpose for which the sensitive information was collected.
We only collect, hold, use and disclose sensitive information for the following purposes:
- any purposes you consent to;
- the primary purpose for which it is collected, to process your application so as to provide our Services to you;
- secondary purposes that are directly related to the primary purpose for which it was collected, including disclosure to the below listed third parties as reasonably necessary to provide our Services to you;
- if otherwise required or authorised by law.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- To enable you to access and use our Services (including our comparison tools), associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- To contact you in relation to a product or service you have expressed interest in or requested a quote for;
- To sell products and services to you on behalf of retailers;
- To enable you to make enquiries with us about our Services;
- To communicate with you;
- For internal record keeping, administrative purposes, invoicing and billing purposes;
- For analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve our Services, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- To run promotions, competitions and/or offer additional benefits to you;
- For advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our products and services and information that we consider may be of interest to you;
- To comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have; and
- If you have applied for employment with us; to consider your employment application.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- Energy retailers or any other retailer where you have purchased their products or services through us;
- Our White Label Partners where you use our comparison tool on their website;
- Third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- Our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- Our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- Sponsors or promoters of any promotions or competition we run;
- Anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- Credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- Courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- Third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of Australia including in India; and
- Third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics or other relevant businesses. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia.
While we store personal information in Australia, where we disclose your personal information to the third parties listed above, these third parties may store, transfer or access personal information outside of Australia, including but not limited to, the United States of America, Ireland, United Kingdom, Netherlands, the Philippines and India.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your information to countries outside of Australia., We will only disclose your personal information to countries with laws which protect your personal information in a way which is substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles and/or we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to require that overseas recipients protect your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Anonymity: Where practicable we will give you the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym in your dealings with us.
Restrict and unsubscribe: To object to processing for direct marketing/unsubscribe from our email database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Access: You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. Please note, in some situations, we may be legally permitted to withhold access to your personal information. If we cannot provide access to your information, we will advise you as soon as reasonably possible and provide you with the reasons for our refusal and any mechanism available to complain about the refusal. If we can provide access to your information in another form that still meets your needs, then we will take reasonable steps to give you such access.
Correction: If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to promptly correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the complaint. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take in response to your complaint. You also have the right to contact the relevant authority in the country in which you are based.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures, to safeguard and secure personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
The credit card details received from you are stored as per the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
Cookies and web beacons
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our online Services.
We may use web beacons on our online Services from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
We may use Google Analytics to collect and process data. To find out how Google uses data when you use third party websites or applications, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or any other URL Google may use from time to time.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact us at:
CIMET Sales Pty Ltd ABN 72 620 395 726
Last update: 8 July 2022